Monday, October 22, 2007

A truncated collection of lovely song lyrics

some of my favorite lyrics from my favorite songs.
-marina



i can tell there's something goin' on
hours seem to disappear
everyone is leaving, i'm still with you.

- Peter Bjorn and John "Young Folks"


It's a shoreline,
and it's high speed,
it's a cruel world,
and it's time.

- Broken Social Scene "7/4 Shoreline"


Sweet Annabelle,
As seen reclining on an ocean swell,
As the waves do lather up to lay her down 'til she's fast and sleeping.
Oh well, I guess I'm something of a ne'er-do-well-
who fell asleep at the pealing of the steeple bell.
I'm on track and keeping.
But oh, if I could only get you oceanside,
to lay your muscles wide, it'd be heavenly.
&oh, if I could only coax you overboard,
to leave these lulling shores, to get you oceanside.
Oceanside. Oceanside. oh.

- The Decemberists "Oceanside"


There is a city by the sea
A gentle company
I don't suppose you want to
And as it tells its sorry tale
In harrowing detail
Its hollowness will haunt you
Its streets and boulevards
Orphans and oligarchs it hears
A plaintive melody
Truncated symphony
An ocean's garbled vomit on the shore,
Los Angeles, I'm yours

-The Decemberists "Los Angeles, I'm Yours"



Broken arrows along the shore
Seems you intended to come back for more
It was summerlove leave this town
It's too cold to bathe and the leaves are brown

-Jose Gonzalez "Broken Arrows"


I only wanted what everyone wanted since bras started burning up ribs in the 60's.
Favors are flying, faces are falling, all I desire is to never be waiting.
If that’s a crime let’s commit it.
There’s a new crime, sexual suicide.

- Emily Haines "The Lottery"


and so it is
just like you said it would be
life goes easy on me .
most of the time
and so it is
the shorter story
no love no glory
no hero in her skies
I can't take my eyes off of you
I can't take my eyes off of you

- Damien Rice "The Blower's Daughter"

No comments: